City Furniture is a great place to work—and it's not simply because of our benefits or our focus on associates' development. It's because of the people. We are a family who looks out for each other, while working toward a common goal: to make City Furniture the ultimate furniture store by enriching people's lives and making the world a better place.
City Furniture Values
Everyday, we strive to create a work environment that represents our values, and provides our employees with the tools and resources to be successful. Walk into any showroom, warehouse or corporate office and you'll see what we're all about: world-class service, life-long learning and eternal wellness.
- Real and Enduring - We value what is real & enduring for that is what is most meaningful to us.
- Integrity and Trust - We believe that when you behave with integrity and trust, you are connected to all that is good in this world.
- Generous and Compassionate - We believe that when you are generous and compassionate, your word becomes much richer.
- Nurture and Develop - When you nurture and develop others and give them room to grow, you empower them.
- Innovate and Inspire - When you innovate and inspire, you make the future more promising.
- Passion and Dedication - We believe that passion is the driving force that leads to greatness, and dedication is what gets us there.
- Involvement and Support - We value the involvement and support of our family, our friends and even strangers.
- Collaboration and Diversity - When you collaborate with a diverse group of people, you yourself develop.
- Appreciated and Rewarded - We know that being truly appreciated is the greatest reward.
- Respect and Dignity - We value the people we respect and whatever we do, we try to do it with dignity.
It all began in the summer of 1971 when founder, Kevin Koenig, set out to accomplish one mission: open his first waterbed store. With just $1,500 in his pocket, and an MBA from Florida Atlantic University, Kevin opened the first Waterbed City.
Waterbed City started as a 900 square foot showroom—selling waterbed structures Kevin sold by day and made by hand at night. His business savvy, quality products and superior service lead to growth and a partnership his brother Keith Koenig, current President, along with Mike Lennon, former Senior VP of Marketing, Garry Ikola, Senior VP of Sales, and Steve Wilder, CFO/CIO.
After 23 years of consistent growth, the waterbed industry had reached its plateau. Waterbed City evolved into City Furniture—offering not just bedroom furniture, but a full line of home furnishings to include living and dining room furniture, wall units, home theatre, and ready-to-assemble furniture.
Today, we represent both the City Furniture and Ashley Furniture HomeStore brands after a formalized partnership in 2005. We've grown to have 18 City Furniture locations and 11 Ashley HomeStore locations throughout the South Florida area.
With planned expansions throughout Southeast, Southwest, and Central Florida, City Furniture is a business focused on fast growth and exceptional service. And because of our commitment to innovative home furnishings and world-class customer service, we're proud to be a top furniture retailer in South Florida.
Awards and Recognition
City Furniture, conducts an Employee Engagement Survey on an annual basis In 2013, City Furniture was the recipient of the 2nd "most improved Overall Job Satisfaction score" award among Avatar Solutions' survey participants. Our associates are the backbone of the company, and we are thrilled to know that so many of them find City Furniture a great place to work.
City Furniture is proud to be a People First® company! Our People First® philosophy creates a culture where everyone realizes their fullest potential to grow mentally, physically, spiritually, socially, financially and emotionally. Most importantly, People First® is an investment in you as a person—an investment which will translate into powerful professional performance.
We’re keeping it healthy at City Furniture! The South Florida Business Journal ranked us in the top 10 of 2015 and 2016's Healthiest Large Employers. We take great pride in making “health” a priority for our associates and offer an extensive Health and Wellness Program - from our full service on-site health and wellness clinic, to our wellness initiatives, to our fun and exciting wellness events and much more!
City Furniture is proud to say, for the third straight year, we m ade the top 50 fleets in America! In 2017 we improved our ranking from 48th greenest fleet to 24th greenest fleet and were highlighted in the presentation as ‘’Americas Green Success Story”. Our Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) trucks allow us to get the job done while taking care of the environment around us. We are proud to be ranked amongst some impressive organizations such as the Air Force, City of NYPD, and Waste Management. As one of only two private fleets on the list, it is clear that Green Conscious is just one of our many company attributes that guides us in making the right decisions for our Associates, our customers, and the place we call home.
City Furniture is pleased to announce that we have won the SFMA’s 2016 Manufacturing Supply Chain Award!! This award signifies the hard work and dedication our team provides towards continuously improving the components of our Supply Chain resulting in the Ultimate Customer Experience. Our company was examined against an intricate list of criteria that included Strategic Planning, Corporate Core Competencies, Associate Engagement, and Distribution Network. City Furniture is honored to be recognized as a leader in the Distribution and Supply Chain Industry.
We believe that when you care for the community around you, you become enriched yourself. In turn, City Furniture strives to support charities and community efforts that help give back to place we call home.
- American Heart Association
- Boys & Girls Club of Broward County
- Museum of Discovery and Science
- Broward Alliance
- Camillus House
- Junior Achievement
- City of Hope
- Urban League of Broward County
We’re also proud to be a leader in the global green movement, not only for the furniture industry but for retail overall. We continue to reduce our carbon footprint with improvements in our processes and how we manage our business. We are the nation’s first major furniture retailer to build a CNG filling station and will convert the majority of our 90-truck fleet to run on CNG.
- Founding members of the Sustainable Furnishings Council
- Compressed natural gas (CNG) distribution trucks
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified showrooms
- 90% of all packaging materials are recycled, including 6 million pounds of cardboard and 500,000 pounds of plastic each year
- Kevin Charles Upholstery has been using cushions made out of soy (a sustainable alternative) since 2008